Clip to Evernote    Print this page

Arm-Rings from Red Wharf Bay, Anglesey

The Place-Name Anglesey

The name Anglesey is derived from Old Norse, coming from either Ǫngullsey "Hook Island" or Ǫnglisey "Ǫngli's Island - a Scandinavian name (possibly a Viking chieftain) and 'ey' - island. The Welsh name is Ynys Môn.

(click on map to enlarge)        

Anglesey between the late 9th and the early 10th century had become the political and economic focus of the Kingdom of Gwynedd.

From 855, Anglesey became a target for seaborne raids. When Ingimund and his followers were expelled from Dublin c. 902/3, They attempted to establish a base on the island, but were defeated and driven off.

Between c. 1887 and c. 1894 a hoard of five Scandinavian type arm-rings was discovered at Red Wharf Bay on Anglesey. (the word 'wharf' derives from 'warf' meaning shore or strand.)

Mark Redknap writes: 

"The Red Wharf Bay arm-rings are probably contemporary with the Cuerdale Hoard (buried c. 905), and it has been suggested that Ingimund’s activities on Anglesey in 903 might have led to the deposition and their non-recovery."

Redknap, M., “The Vikings in Wales” in “The Viking World”, (ed) Brink, S. & Price, N.,(2008)Roultledge

 


Previous page: The Vikings in Wales
Next page: The Vikings in Denmark